Home » Latest » Security report says Ramadhan truce a success.

Security report says Ramadhan truce a success.

A crucial security report which would be a part of the power point presentation to the home minister Rajnath Singh during his upcoming two day visit to the state has declared the suspension of operations against militants during Ramadhan a great success. The report, accessed  makes a case for extension of truce beyond Ramadhan as it has eased the hardships of the people and brought daily killings to a halt.

Singh who would arrive in Srinagar on June 7 would chair a high-level security review meeting at Sher-e-Kashmir International Convention Centre (SKICC) to take stock of the achievements of ceasefire.

In the twenty days of ceasefire so far only a soldier and a civilian have died in a militancy related incident, a fact that the report highlights. The killings took place on May 28 when militants attacked the Army’s 50 Rashtriya Rifles camp at Kakapora in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district.

The report justifies the killing of seven militants along the Line of Control as they were “infiltrators” and hence not covered under ceasefire. It terms the infiltration bids at the Line of Control by militants (LoC) and the grenade attacks as “frustration of militants”’

All the same time, the report presumes a silent reciprocation from the militant outfits to the ceasefire, saying they have gone quiet.

“During this period, major outfits like Hizbul Mujahideen and Lashkar-e-Toiba took a back seat and didn’t carry out any strike,” the report says.

Acknowledging the continuation of the militant recruitment, the report says, easing of the daily hardships of the people would make a redeeming difference to the situation.

Fifty local youth have joined various militant outfits since January, report highlights.

“The militant recruitment is a concern,” the report stresses.

The report, sources say, would help the home minister to silence the critics who have opposed the move to suspend operations in Kashmir.

“The decision to extend the ceasefire depends on the feedback the home minister would receive in the form of a power point presentation prepared by security agencies,” a top security source told.

The report  stresses the fact that it is for the first time since the start of militancy that no civilian, militant or forces’ casualty has taken place over twenty days – other than that of one civilian and a soldier.

On the contrary, the truce announced by the former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 2000 for nearly five months had witnessed a sharp escalation in violence. An estimated 800 persons were killed in the period.

The report, however, is not confined to the achievements of Ramadhan ceasefire only. It talks about the security scenario of the past six months and puts the number of active militants at 280.

“In the first six months of 2018, 68 militants were killed including top commanders that include  Mufti Waqas, Touseef Sheikh, Sameer Tiger and Sadaam Padar,” report states. “Now only a few names are left that include Reyaz Naikoo, Zeenat-ul-Islam, and Zakir Moosa.”

The report says 900 law and order incidents were witnessed in 2017 and 410 such incidents took place this year so far.

The report, sources said, will help Centre to announce further confidence-building measures in Kashmir. A ceasefire on the border with Pakistan and suspension of operations inside Kashmir is seen as a paradigm shift in the centre’s approach to the state.  The softer approach, sources said, is providing better dividends.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

x

Check Also

BJP wants new Ganderbal hospital named after NC leader.

With an eye on the forthcoming state and parliamentary elections, Bharatiya Janata Party state unit ...